It’s that time of year again- entertaining, eating too much, and lots of travel. Marshall Doney, AAA president and CEO, stated in a recent press release that over 46 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more from their home this Thanksgiving. The chart below shows that gas prices are actually in our favor for traveling this Thanksgiving.
Here are five easy ways to save on fuel prices – not just for the holidays, but all the time!
- Drive the more fuel efficient car. Many people jump to taking the family car with the most leg room and luggage space. Perhaps take this opportunity to assess your packing and squeeze into the smaller more fuel efficient car.
- Lighten the load. Take an inventory of what’s in your car. By having a heavier car you use more fuel. Take off the roof rack that you don’t plan on using this winter and empty out the trunk, leaving only the necessities.
- Get a tune up. Consider getting your car serviced before taking off this holiday season. The better shape your car is in, the more fuel you will save.
- Go back to driver’s ed. Take this time to remember the basics of driving. Accelerate slowly, eliminate aggressive braking and speeding. All of these things lead to increased fuel cost.
- Find cheaper gas prices. GasBuddy is my favorite app for this purpose. You can use this to find the cheapest prices on your route.
Every penny counts when trying to stick to a budget to meet your long-term goals!
Ashley Gragtmans, CFP®